Thursday, March 29, 2012

Take a hard look at your exercise habits


This week, I'm asking you to take a hard look at your exercise habits.  You should be getting 3-7 hours of moderate exercise each week.

You might know that people who exercise regularly reduce their chances of emergency room visits and of overall medical intervention.  People who exercise lead longer, happier, healthier lives.


If you aren't exercising regularly, it's time to look at your schedule and make some changes.  A 3-hour-per-week goal is a great start.


It's time to add 3 hours a week.
Consider the following:

First: What kind of exercise do I really enjoy, can I do easily, and can fit into my budget?
Be realistic and choose an activity that is easily attainable to you.

Then: How can I fit 3-7 hours into my schedule each week?
Remember that unlike playing video games, watching movies, or hanging out with your friends or your kids, you aren't going exercise accidentally.  YOU NEED TO PLAN IT. 

Lastly: How will I hold myself accountable and be consistent?
It can help to share your exercise plan with a friend, a family member, or a coworker and ask them to help you stay on schedule.  

Good luck, and keep me posted on your progress!

6 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of the yoga podcasts. They're free, don't require me to leave my own house, and accessible any time of day. If I'm short on cash, or my only time to exercise is at 3am, I can do it. No excuses! They've really kept me on track.

    One caveat: It's necessary to have a basic knowledge of yoga and your body to avoid injury. I wouldn't recommend them to someone just starting out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good idea. What are your favorite ones to use? I had some that I was using, but I've grown tired of them.

      Delete
  2. It took me years to find an exercise style that fit me. During my school years, I did nothing. (What? Ex-cer-cise? Heck no! Ice cream!) Post college, I tried Ultimate Disc (burnt out, zero black people), running (hated the sound of my own gasping), rowing (had to learn to swim first, so never got to the rowing part), swimming (took a bunch of classes, but where to swim for low cost?), and somewhere in there, biking to work. What I thought would never turn into anything sustainable DID. However, I do it less for exercise and more for love. So I suppose you can count me in as one of those rare, accidental exercisers. Sort of. ;^)

    -Phoebe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can take a really long time to cultivate habits that work. Finding something you really LOVE makes a huge difference. Then it's not about working about and instead about the awesomeness. Yeehaw for accidentally becoming an exerciser!

      Delete
  3. I'm planning to get back on the treadmill and try Couch to 5k again starting today. I'm trying to remember how much I was starting to like it as I psych myself up. Going slower this time to hopefully avoid those shin splints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. Recommitting to an exercise plan and then sticking to it is the hardest part. Have you ever gotten recommendations (physical therapy or otherwise) for preventing/reducing the shin splints?

    ReplyDelete